Friday 16 March 2018

barcelona: park guell


After Casa Batlló, Park Güell was at the top of my list. It was the nicest weather (so warm!), so it was a dream to spend basically a full day in the park. It has all the most gorgeous architecture, the loveliest greenery and the most pleasant atmosphere in the prettiest place. You bet I was Gaudí fangirling!






I thought the park was really interesting, as I didn't know beforehand that it had started as a project meant to become a housing development for rich people that failed as nobody wanted to buy the initial show house or lots for the other houses. So, only two houses out of sixty were built and neither is actually by Gaudí. One was Eusebi Güell's, Gaudí's friend/patron and the one who's idea the project was, and Gaudí himself moved into the other one, which is now the Gaudí House Museum (that I didn't actually visit, but will next time!). After building for 14 years (1900-1914), it was eventually turned into a public park in 1926. Which is sad for Gaudí and Güell, but great for me and anyone else who can now visit.   

Going to the park is free, but if you want to get to the most centre part of it, the monumental zone, it's around 8euros and you get an allocated time when you can go in so that the amount of people in this area can be regulated. It was quite busy on the day I visited which meant that the available times were only either late in the evening or the next day. I didn't fancy coming back the next day and just decided to wander around the majority of the park for the hours I had before my time. (Again, people who properly plan their trips maybe want to book tickets in advance, but waiting wasn't a problem for me.) It's not as if there's a lack of things to do. I walked around admiring the architecture and nature, ate some ice lollies that melted on me in the heat, took lots of photos, chatted to some guy about photography (then low key avoided bumping into him again after I was done with this interaction), sat listening to musicians that were playing almost under every arch, had a picnic and drank lots (of water, hydration is always important, especially when it's hot!), and sat down just writing for a while. It was really enjoyable and the park is stunning. If I ever found myself living in Barcelona, this would be the place I'd be chilling in and spending alone time at. Or any time, really.

Have you been, or do you want to visit Park Güell?
















Top - 2nd hand
Shorts - Dad's old
Shoes - Primark
Sunglasses - Citymarket
























SHARE:

6 comments

Valerie said...

Wow, this park is so cool! I can imagine it was so much fun to explore!

http://roadesque.com

Miguel Gouveia said...

thank you my dear :)

great photos!
Barcelona is one of my fav cities :D

NEW TIPS POST | LAST MINUTE GIFT GUIDE FOR FATHER'S DAY :O
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

The Equinox Fashion by Paweerata said...

this place looks cool girl! I kinda wanna go to EU again! Hopefully, UK this year!



http://www.thequinoxfashion.com

Corinne said...

I've never seen architecture like that! What unique looking buildings.

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

Hena Tayeb said...

This is hands down one of my favorite parks.. We are there some 8.. 9 years ago.. loved seeing all the pictures again!

Laura Jones said...

Valerie Price - it really is, love! i'm glad that i decided to spend such a long time there! xx

Miguel Gouveia - thank you, hon! i definitely ended up liking it a lot more than i anticipated! xx

Gail J - it really is! and yes, girl! i hope you'll get to travel to the uk/somewhere in europe soon and maybe i'll see you! xxx

Corinne - i know, gaudí's style really is unique! i'm sure you'd enjoy seeing them, chicken! xx

Hena Tayeb - mine too, lady! ah, that's lovely, glad to have reminded you of your trip! xx

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig