Monday 8 May 2017

faro: you will reach this state too
















The Nossa Senhora do Carmo church and its Capela dos Ossos is the only place from Faro that made itself into its own blog post. If you know me or have followed my blog for some time, you know I love things that might be described as morbid. So this was basically the only thing I had on my list as a "must-see" in Faro. The church was beautiful and full of detail (but then again most churches in Portugal are like this, which doesn't keep me from admiring each and every one of them!), and the chapel was something else. It was such a good mixture of beautiful, creepy, morbid, thought-provoking, and awe-inspiring. I loved it. Understandably, seeing a room covered in over 1200 skulls isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it. For some reason I didn't see it, but I know there is supposed to be an inscription above the entrance to the chapel saying "Pára aqui a considerar que a este estado hás-de chegar" (Stop here and consider, that you will reach this state too.) I find that very beautiful and humbling. Visiting the church and the chapel were clearly highlights of my Faro trip!

I'd recommend visiting, but also get it if the place gives you the creeps and makes you want to stay as far away as you can. Has anyone of you been here or to a similar place (give me recommendations!) or are bone chapels and such more of a thing you steer clear of?

Here's where you can find more Faro posts: onetwo | three
SHARE:

4 comments

Hena Tayeb said...

wow.. that is intense.. glad you were able to make it.

Unknown said...

These photos are so stunning! x
www.britishmermaid.com

Valerie said...

Wow, this place is amazing! The architecture is so interesting!

http://roadesque.com
http://ourruins.com

Laura Jones said...

Hena Tayeb - isn't it! and so am i, hon, such an amazing place to visit:-) xx

Cara E - thank you so much, gal! xx

Valerie Price - isn't it, dear! he whole place is so interesting! xx

© summer violets. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig